Saturday, November 23, 2013

I think of 2011 whenever I face problems with my self worth. This is the very note I've pasted into my ipod right before I entered the room, Kings of Convenience's misread playing in my ears. 

I often do not speak in front of  people, besides the ones who are extremely close to me. I was never sure of the reason, but when he tells us that "we speak because the world needs to hear what we have to say", i realised I've never thought of the value of my words to other people. Little, I'd think.


Up till now, I still don't understand what Marianne Williamson means by "our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure". I don't understand it, and all i seek for is to fully grasp what she means. 

I have not grown since two years ago; it is in the presence of others like him that helps me to. This is a note written by my teacher I respect greatly, to serve as a reminder at times like now. There must be something I must do about this heavy feeling.



Three years ago, a person i hardly knew decided to contribute to my life by sharing with me a written verse from a woman called Marianne Williamson. Admittedly, at the beginning of our journey together I had no idea what it all meant ... a year later, this became one of the most significant pieces of literature that I personally choose to live by.



The piece is titled "our deepest fear" and it speaks such amazing wisdom into what we really experience as people; for our deepest fear is not that we will fail... but our deepest fear is that we will succeed. Why else do we spend time bashing ourselves up, doubting, not trusting ... why else do we reject or not listen to that tiny voice that tells us ever so often, "that you were meant for something great". why else do we not speak truth when we sense it, and put on a pedestal those people who do...

listen to what she says...

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child, created for a purpose. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”


too often students tell me how much i have changed their life and brought learning, healing and dignity to how they live... but what they do not hear is when i say time and again that I am only who I am because of you. It is something I pray that you can receive before you go into this exam for it is so essential that you understand your contribution to my life. At our last class this year I stayed in the audi just listening and reflecting to what my heart was telling me ... that I am filled with nothing but awe and gratitude for you trusting what we have learnt over the year. I am dignified by your openness. I am deeply encouraged by your response. and yes, I too am healed and do not feel alone because I know that there are others with me who also believe that we can make a difference to this world. So that last night, I went down on my knees and prayed for all of you ... that you would receive the same wisdom, love and blessing that you have each individually brought to my life.

I take this exam tomorrow, not because I want to compete with you, but because I want to be with you. To stand in solidarity with you. For we do not take this exam alone, we take it as a community of people who stand for excellence, but also for love. I take this exam so that you know that you are not alone in this endeavor to speak your voice, that there are 400 other students this year who shared the same experience as you ... that we take this exam not because we fear, but because the world needs us to speak.

This subject is more than just stringing a bunch of examples together. It is more than the mechanics of question analysis and argument. This subject is relevant to all of us, because it is about your voice. A clear one. An honest one. And if my life is anything to go by... your voice is one that can bring meaning, healing and dignity to the man or woman half way across the world that would be privileged to hear what you have to say.

Say something worth saying for this person is going to give you half an hour of their undivided time to listen... so make a difference to their life by giving them an argument worth remembering. And do not fear that your voice will be alone.. for it wont.

You see ... breakdowns happen everyday. Things do not go the way that we plan. And the main tool we have to any situation is rarely preparation but rather ingenuity and resourcefulness. Why Japan was so inspiring was because underneath all the flash of their technology and modernity was a country driven by deep resolve, wisdom and stoicism. That when the tsunami peeled back the layers of their civilsation, it did not expose chaos, evilness and disarray ... but rather a community of people who knew who they were. Japan spoke more to the world through their actions and silence than most of the meaningless noise that we hear today.

It is my prayer that each of us find grounding in the truth that we are no different. For beneath the layers of all that we have prepared also lies resourcefulness. clarity. I know that we might feel anxious or scared ... and if we do, know that you are not alone in that emotion. know that I am also with you. and perhaps more mportant, know that many many prayers are also upon you.

Thank you for this year.

It was my privilege to have served you.

For now, we go into the exam as equals. as partners.

I wish you all the very very best.

-----------


“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child, created for a purpose. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”

Marianne Williamson

No comments: